Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Black Manicure

I love nail polish. It’s a small addiction. I have been doing my nails and my mother’s/sister’s/best friend’s nails since I was six years old. I am considering a career in nails. I'll let you know how it goes.

I love to be creative and different. When I was a kid, I had to wait for Halloween for the funky colours to come out. Otherwise, I was stuck with the basic reds, corals, and pinks. About the time I was ten, Wet and Wild started coming out with colours like blue and green and yellow. I was in heaven!!

My mother is one of these people that wears one colour of nail polish: Champagne pink. She discouraged me from wearing any of those wild colours and I ABSOLUTELY was not allowed to wear those colours to church. My Nana was a big influence in the whole “ladies don’t wear black/orange/blue nail polish” campaign as well. Growing up, I did not wear funky nail polish.

When I got married, my girlfriends pooled their money together and gave me a massage and manicure/pedicure as a shower gift. It was one of the best gifts ever. I had never had a professional pedicure before. (I missed my manicure due to issues with Immigration, but that’s a loooong story) I got to keep the bottle of nail polish that the manicurist used, thus introducing me to O.P.I. nail polish.

I now have approaching 40 bottles of nail polish. Most of them are O.P.I. I have every colour of the rainbow, including black and white.

I have recently been trying Essie nail polish because it’s made here in the U.S., so it’s better on the environment, what with shipping causing all kinds of carbon footprinting.

This colour is Essie’s Licorice. It’s the first true black nail polish I’ve ever owned. I used to save the dark colours for my toes, but in the last year or so, I have been taking the time to sit down and pay attention to my manicure rather than quickly swiping on a colour, so I’m able to pull off a dark colour on my hands more effectively. Sitting down and paying attention allows me to not miss, do a base coat and top coat, and have everything looking even and uniform. I see my hands more than any other part of my body, so having a flawed manicure can really distract me.

I wore this colour for the Valentine’s Dance. I was already wearing a top with red flowers, and I’m nothing if not non-traditional, so I skipped the red polish in favour of black, figuring that black can also be an appropriate colour for Valentine's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment